The Association of International Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (VDIK) was founded in 1952 in Frankfurt am Main. Even before the VDIK was founded, the “Motor Vehicle Importers Group” existed as an association within the Central Association of the Motor Vehicle Trade (ZDK). However, seven automobile importers broke away from the ZDK in 1952, founded the VDIK and thus established their own interest group. They had a market share of just 4 percent.
In addition to Fiat, the largest importer at the time, Austin, Chrysler, Dodge, Nash, Packard, Simca and Willy’s Overland were founding members. Today, almost all importers represented in Germany belong to the VDIK. According to the will of its founders, the association was to “… promote and protect the general idealistic and economic interests of the importers of motor vehicles in the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany, including West Berlin, through the voluntary association of the companies involved in the import of motor vehicles.” Of course, the association’s territory now includes reunified Germany.