Transport policy

Reducing energy consumption

Even though transport volumes are expected to grow significantly by 2025 in both, passenger transport (+ 20 % over 2005) and goods transport (+ 70 % over 2005) , the German government's current energy concept provides for a substantial reduction in energy consumption in the transport sector, which accounts for almost 30 % of total energy consumption. Compared to the base year 2005, energy consumption in the transport sector is to be decreased by 10 % by 2020 and by a total of 40 % by 2050. The decrease in energy consumption will of course be accompanied by a substantial reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from the transport sector. Compared to the year 1990, these emissions are to be lowered by 80 % by 2050.

In light of the above, the transport sector as a whole is faced with global challenges. To achieve the aforementioned targets, it is imperative that drive technologies are consistently optimized and developed further. The very high fuel prices already make it obvious today that we must focus not only on electric mobility but on all drive technologies in order to reduce our dependence on crude oil and keep mobility affordable in the future. In the foreseeable future, there will be no universally usable vehicle drive system. The VDIK advocates being open about and using all drive technologies. The internal combustion engine will still continue to play an important role for long time.